- 500g blanched almonds
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmegg
- 16 sheets filo pastry
- 3 egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 100g butter, melted
- 200g honey
- icing sugar and ground cinnamon to garnish
- Preheat the over to 200 degrees celsius.
- To make the filling, put the almonds into a food processor with the caster sugar and blend to a paste.
- Add the orange blossom water and blend briefly to combine.
- Place the butter into a saucepan with the almond paste and stir over moderate heat for 5 minutes, making sure it doesn't burn.
- Leave to cool and then add the egg yolk and cinnamon, cardamon and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly.
- Shape the almond mixture into 8 long sticks the thickness of your thumb.
- Brush a pastry sheet with egg yolk and place another sheet on top (the egg will make it stick.
- Place oe of the almond logs in the centre and roll the pastry around it to look like a snake.
- Continue this process until you have 8 snakes.
- Join the snakes end to end, shaping into a tight spiral, onto a buttered round baking tray.
- Brush evenly with butter. Bake unti golden.
- Remove from the over and brush with warmed honey all over.
- Cool before serving and sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon.